Additional resources to help you.
- Australian Taxation Office (ATO) - www.ato.gov.au
- Search the ATO Legal Database - law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/asearch.htm
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission - www.asic.gov.au
- Australian Business Register (to apply for an ABN) - www.auskey.abr.gov.au
- Freelance Success - www.freelancesuccess.com.au
Starting a Business:
- ATO – Starting a Business Essentials
- ASIC – How to Register a Company
- Australian Business Register – Apply for an ABN
- Department of Fair Trading – Register a Business Name
Special Topics from the ATO Website.
- Allowances Paid to Employees
- Personal Services Income
- Non-commercial Business Losses (see exception for professional arts businesses)
- Capital Gains Tax
- Capital Gains Tax – Buying and Selling a Property
- Transferring a Property to Family or Friends
- Foreign Income of Australian Residents
- Am I a Resident for Australian Tax Purposes?
- Rental Properties
- Scholarships (exempt or taxable income?)
- Special Professionals and Income Averaging
- Deductions Essentials
- Carrying on a business from home; is it a place of business?
- Car Expenses and how to prepare a valid 12 week logbook
- Reasonable Travel Allowance Expenses Amounts 2012/2013
- Can an employee claim travel expenses without substantiation (receipts)?
- Clothing Expenses
- Self-education expenses
- Low value pools
- Did you donate $2 or more to a registered charity or political party?
- Are you entitled to a deduction for investing in the Australian film industry?
- Did you have capital expenditure directly connected with a project pool?
- Did you make payments to a forestry managed investment scheme?
- Dependent spouse (no children), child house-keeper or student
- Are you eligible for the education tax offset?
- Were you living in a remote or isolated area in 2012?
- Landcare and water facility tax offset